Wednesday, September 25, 2013

Summarizing my experience with Linux

I had some torrid time with Linux installation. Ubunut 13.04 and it's derived distros like LUBUNTU, XUBUNTU  all had  "buffer overflow" error in R while installing new packages. After much trial and tribulations I settled down with Ubuntu 12.04 LTS. After a week, I am quite happy with it. R works just fine but it had the problem of resuming from suspension. The same problem I had in MINT 15.  Following patch from here worked out just great. I am ever grateful for that. Otherwise I would have been still in limbo.

Fix Suspend

From “unziberla” in the comments below:
Guys, i fixed suspend on my AO751h with 12.04 starting from old patch for 11.10 from which i removed one quirk.
Open a terminal and use the following commands:
gksu gedit /etc/pm/config.d/gma500
Add in one of the following codes and save the file (apparently one “-” works for some and others need two “--” in front of “quirk-vbemode-restore”):
ADD_PARAMETERS='-quirk-vbemode-restore'
ADD_PARAMETERS='--quirk-vbemode-restore'
This has been a life changer. No doubt about that.

No comments: